Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Diary of a Doc: Dr. JJ -- 1109 Days & Counting

Oh boy, the summer is really flying by! It seems like just yesterday I heard "Mom, I am so glad to be home, and can't wait to be here for 3 months!" Now the drums are thumping in the direction of Ann Arbor as Max is "home"sick for school and can't wait to get back! In the meantime, he is truly enjoying his job (and believe me, a job is hard to come by for these kids returning from college), and this week his comrades from the UC schools returned to a bit of fanfare from their buddies.
Our refrigerator staples are lasting a bit longer, as Max is eating out a bit more, and while home, is trying sincerely to eat well and get a little exercise. His dad and I wish his socks and dirty laundry would exercise their way into the basket located directly in the line of fire of his bed! But aside from the expected messes, late nights, and groggy mornings, we both are enjoying the unfolding stories that continue to come our way, and the (mostly) pleasant banter we have reestablished day to day. Some of you have had "Max sightings" as he borrows my car every Tuesday, accompanies me to the hospital to make rounds in the morning, and then picks me up in the afternoon.
He caught me off guard this week, when I was having a "moment" of feeling overwhelmed, hugged me tight, and told me he really didn't get how hard I worked until he stared at the wall in my office with diplomas & certificates, etc. He sincerely told me how proud of me he was....and of course, in moments like those, there is total absolution for all dirty socks and stinky laundry, late nights, overdue bank accounts and half-eaten food in the fridge. It's so interesting that as Bruce and I made this adjustment to an empty nest, the definition of who we were morphed. Although I will always be "Max's mom" whether he is far or near, it's only when he is here, in the flesh, that I feel I can be the 3-D mom.
Ahh, it's good to be mom...

No comments: